Sunday 10 May 2015

Songs in the key of Barb – A Mother’s Day post from The Jukebox Hero to her actual hero

Anyone who knows me knows how much I appreciate music. Growing up, there was never silence in our house; silence always provided the opportunity to put on a record. There was always a soundtrack to our dinners, to the thunderstorms that rocked Goodsir Cres, and to our afternoons spent cleaning the house (that specifically was Queen’s Greatest Hits – the one with the maroon album cover). It’s safe to say that my deep rooted love for all things rock’n’roll comes from my parents, specifically my mother. She’s the only woman I know who faithfully listens to Psychadellic Psunday. I’m so eternally grateful that my mother raised me on some of the greatest classic rock that the world will ever know (and not Garth Brooks). Lucky for me, my mom has pretty great taste in music... except for Bob Seger - let's face it, he kind of sucks. I suppose that everyone has their vices, I mean, I 'not-so-secretly' love disco and nobody gives me shit for it. But all crappy albums aside (and I do mean all... she has ALL HIS ALBUMS on vinyl), I’m so lucky to have someone support my interests so wholeheartedly. Someone who took me to concerts when I was little, someone who sang backup when I wanted to be Aretha in the car, and someone who turned her favourite Carole King album into my lullabies. I give my mother credit for a lot of things, and I regularly tell her how much I love her and how much I appreciate her unwavering support. What I don’t acknowledge regularly enough, however, is the fact that we’re kindred spirits. I couldn’t be more proud to be my mother’s daughter – I am all that I am thanks to you. So happy Mother’s Day mom, enjoy your day (and your playlist). I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment