Sunday 26 October 2014

Gin and bare it - Tunes that mix well with tonic


Musicians take inspiration from so many different places – women, drugs, alcohol, politics, poetry… you name it; the scope is as vast as the genre. As a result, rock has always had a few central themes. Something that I've always noticed is that certain artists share similar appetite for the finer things in life… particularly gin.

I have a dear friend. His name is Jesse. He and I have a lot in common: we both enjoy watching football, we’re both (not so) secret Saturday Night Live nerds, we both have a great appreciation for a great song and a good, stiff drink. Typically, our get-togethers include some sort of combination of the above mentioned things. So for years now, with the help of our friends and a good bottle of Tanqueray, we've been compiling a mental list of Gin songs, guaranteed to make the drinks go down easy.

Driving in the car today, the latest Stars single, Trap Door, came on. I was only half paying attention, until I heard the line “Neurotic alcoholic, make mine a gin and tonic”. Immediately, I perked up. There was another song to add to the list! Immediately my mind started racing, going over and over the songs we so often talked about, yet had never properly compiled. I then decided – today would be the day.

So, in honour of my friend Jesse, here it is. Pour yourself 3 fingers of Tanq, top it off with some tonic, twist in that lime, crank up these tunes, and get ready to feel supersonic. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment