Monday 13 July 2015

A Modern Day Cover Letter

Dear potential employer,

You're a record label who needs an executive assistant. You also just so happen to be home to a few of my favourite bands. I'm a music nerd, who just so happens to be well educated AND in need of a job. So far, I feel that we're a good match.

You need someone who's organized, efficient, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. Someone who's comfortable communicating with individuals and clients at all levels of the organization. Someone who can multitask and solve problems. Someone with an eye for detail. Someone who might point out typos they happened to notice while reading the ad for the job in question (it may be presumptuous, but I have an eye for details and I think this proves it).

 You're also hoping for someone who has stellar interpersonal skills, the ability to anticipate needs, someone who can collaborate and work well with others. You want someone diplomatic and engaging, who knows their way around a computer and who has maybe worked in the music industry before.


I still feel that we're a good match. 

Before going back to school, I worked in the heart of the tourist industry in Niagara Falls - the definition of a fast-paced work environment. For nearly 10 years, I cooked, tended bar, and served at some of the busiest restaurants in the area, where multitasking and organization weren't skills I learned, but methods of survival. Anticipating guest needs, communicating effectively, and collaborating with my team were necessary steps in making good tips. An eye for detail and a sense of urgency made my job easier. Despite the laundry list of things restaurant staff are responsible for, being diplomatic and engaging was always job one.

All of the skills I learned in the tourist industry trenches translated easily to Public Relations, the field of study I chose to pursue upon returning to school. And PR ended up being a fantastic gateway to the place I long for the most - the music industry.

While in school, I had the opportunity to intern for the Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra, which a lot of people found confusing at first (I'm a bit more Moneen than Mozart). I loved every minute of being involved with a not-for-profit organization committed to bringing music to the masses, even if the type of music wasn't what I was used to listening to. I also had the opportunity to undertake a second internship with Errant Entertainment, where my research, writing, and editorial skills were put to good use (check out my interview with Sumo Cyco here).

Alas, my days as an intern are over, but my thirst for being part of the music industry has not been quenched. This, potential employer, is where you come in. I'm passionate, organized, well versed in computers (Windows, Mac, all social media platforms, Google docs... I'm even learning HTML and CSS as we speak!), and I would be a great addition to your team.

In closing, thanks for taking the time to read my blog. I hope to hear from you soon. And if not, I hope you clicked through my blog posts and at least enjoyed what you read. Also, here's my favourite song by my favourite band (Yes I know this particular B Side wasn't released on your label, but I did really really enjoy Damage and can't wait for the next album).


No comments:

Post a Comment